Orthopedics is a medical specialty that focuses on diagnosing, treating, and preventing disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system. This system is responsible for supporting your body weight, maintaining your posture and in helping you move. Common orthopedic conditions include arthritis, osteoporosis, scoliosis, fractures, and sports injuries.
Orthopaedics or orthopaedic surgery is a branch of medicine that deals with injuries and diseases affecting your musculoskeletal system. It comprises your muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons, joints, and nerves. Talking about orthopaedics, it deals with the system that allows you to move, work and be active. A doctor who specializes in orthopaedics is called an orthopaedist, an orthopedic surgeon, or a bone specialist as it is commonly referred to.
Orthopaedists deal with a wide variety of musculoskeletal conditions. Some of them may be present from birth while others may result from injuries or age-related wear and tear. If you are suffering from any musculoskeletal injuries or disorders make sure that you consult an expert at the earliest in order to prevent further complications. The doctor will perform the necessary tests that are required to identify your anomaly and plan the treatment in Mumbai accordingly.
The orthopedics department specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of conditions related to the musculoskeletal system, which includes the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves. Some common procedures performed in the orthopedics department include:
- Fracture Repair: Orthopedic surgeons perform procedures to realign and stabilize broken bones. This may involve casting, splinting, or surgical intervention with the use of implants such as plates, screws, or rods.
- Joint Replacement Surgery: Joint replacement surgeries, such as total hip replacement, total knee replacement, and shoulder replacement, are commonly performed to alleviate pain and improve joint function in cases of severe arthritis or joint damage.
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a small camera called an arthroscope to visualize and treat various joint conditions. It is commonly performed for conditions like meniscal tears, ligament injuries, cartilage damage, and synovitis.
- Spine Surgery: Orthopedic surgeons perform various spine surgeries to treat conditions such as herniated discs, spinal stenosis, spinal deformities (scoliosis), and spinal fractures. Procedures may include discectomy, laminectomy, spinal fusion, or artificial disc replacement.
- Sports Medicine Procedures: Orthopedic surgeons specialized in sports medicine commonly perform procedures to repair sports-related injuries, such as ligament tears (ACL, MCL), tendon injuries (rotator cuff tears, Achilles tendon ruptures), and cartilage damage. These procedures may involve ligament reconstruction, tendon repair, or cartilage restoration techniques.
- Hand and Wrist Surgery: Orthopedic surgeons may perform surgeries for conditions affecting the hand and wrist, including carpal tunnel release, trigger finger release, tendon repairs, and fracture fixation.
- Foot and Ankle Surgery: Orthopedic surgeons can perform various surgeries for foot and ankle conditions, such as a bunionectomy, ankle arthroscopy, Achilles tendon repair, and fusion procedures for arthritis.
- Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery: Pediatric orthopedic surgeons specialize in treating musculoskeletal conditions in children. Procedures may include the correction of limb deformities, treatment of pediatric fractures, scoliosis surgery, and hip dysplasia treatments.
- Trauma Surgery: Orthopedic surgeons are often involved in the management of orthopedic trauma, such as fractures resulting from accidents or injuries. They may perform surgeries to stabilize fractures, manage open fractures, or repair complex injuries.
These are just a few examples of the common procedures performed in the orthopedics department. The specific procedures performed may vary depending on the expertise and available resources in the particular healthcare facility. Orthopedic surgeons are trained to perform a wide range of surgical and non-surgical interventions to address musculoskeletal conditions and help patients regain mobility, function, and quality of life.
At Medfin’s Orthopaedic department in Mumbai, you will receive the latest treatments such as arthroplasty and arthroscopic procedures among others. Medfin specializes in daycare procedures for select conditions.
The advantages of daycare procedures in Mumbai are:
- Early resumption of day-to-day activity
- Reduced hospital stay
- Reduces anxiety of surgery
- Recovery in familiar surroundings
- Reduces hospital-acquired infection
- Risks and side effects of general anesthesia are reduced
- Faster post-op. Recovery
Robotic surgery in Mumbai in orthopaedics is a surgical procedure that involves the use of advanced robotic technology to assist the surgeon in performing a range of orthopaedic procedures. This technology allows for improved precision, accuracy, and safety in surgery.
One of the primary benefits of robotic surgery in orthopaedics is its ability to provide highly accurate and consistent outcomes. The robotic system allows the surgeon to plan and perform the surgery with a greater level of accuracy and precision than traditional surgery. The robotic system can also adjust to any unexpected changes during the surgery, making it a valuable tool for complex orthopaedic procedures.
Robotic surgery in Mumbai is used in orthopaedics for a variety of procedures, including joint replacements, spinal surgery, and bone fracture repair. For joint replacements, the robotic system can help to create a custom-fit implant for the patient, which can improve the overall success of the surgery. In spinal surgery, the robotic system can help to navigate complex spinal anatomy, making it easier for the surgeon to perform the procedure with greater accuracy and precision.
Another benefit of robotic surgery in Mumbai in orthopaedics is its minimally invasive nature. Robotic surgery often requires smaller incisions than traditional surgery, which can lead to less pain, scarring, and a faster recovery time for the patient.
Despite the benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to robotic surgery in orthopaedics. The cost of the technology can be a barrier for some hospitals and patients, and there may be a learning curve for surgeons who are not familiar with the technology.
Overall, robotic surgery is a promising technology that has the potential to improve patient outcomes in orthopaedics. As technology continues to improve, it is likely that robotic surgery will become more widespread and accessible to patients.
Get in touch with a Medfin expert to know more.
At Medfin’s Orthopaedic department, you are assured the perfect mix of expert surgeons in Mumbai, latest procedures and affordable price. Our panel of expert surgeons are hand-picked by Medfin. All of our surgeons have extensive experience performing the latest procedures, arthroplasty, arthroscopic procedures and have been trained to deliver the latest, international standards of surgical treatment in Mumbai. They have on average 12+ years of experience.