The appendicitis condition refers to the chronic inflammation of the vestigial organ, appendix. It is quite a tricky disease. This is because its symptoms are very much similar to those of the gallbladder issues, urinary tract infections (UTI), gastritis, etc.
In this condition, the acute/chronic inflammation leads to severe pain in your gastro-vascular region. Also, this inflammation is a result of bacterial infections.
While the appendix comes with no discernible function, its disease has been found in around 0.34 per cent of school-going children in the country. Talking of adults, around 0.25 per cent of the Indian population suffers from this condition.
Along with the purpose, causes of the appendix’s disease are also not known very well. However, a few known causes of appendicitis are as mentioned below. Again, there can also be multiple reasons of the health condition.
- Abdominal trauma or injury
- Enlarged lymphoid follicles
- Blockage at the connection point between the appendix and the intestines
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Digestive tract infection
- Growths inside the organ
The blockage inside the appendicular tube causes the breeding of bacteria. This results in pus formation and thereby develops an excess amount of pressure inside the organ. As a result, this leads to severe pain.
The major symptom of appendicitis is severe pain in the abdomen. There are several other symptoms, which may come suddenly and worsen with time.
Here are the other main signs of appendicitis:
- Pain or tenderness in the abdomen; it worsens when the individual sneezes, coughs, moves or inhales
- A swollen belly
- Nausea and vomiting
- Inability to pass gas
- Low-grade fever
- Loss of appetite, i.e., not feeling hungry when you otherwise want to have food
How to Prevent Appendicitis?
There are no proven ways to prevent this health condition. However, keeping a healthy way of life can help. This involves having the right diet and a balanced one too.
Now, there are certain food items known to be good to prevent diseases such as appendicitis. Some of the foods you should consume are:
- Oats, wheat gram as breakfast cereals
- Whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour
- Fresh fruits as desserts after lunch/dinner
- Brown rice in place of the white one
Again, as there are foods preventing the disease, there are foods that worsen the condition too. So, here are some food items you should avoid:
- Fried foods as they’re fatty and they can irritate digestive system
- Red meat as it is again fatty and tough to digest
- Alcohol as it harms the liver and hence affects digestion
- Cakes, pastries and related items as they have too much sugar
Appendicitis is curable at the initial stage. So, get a timely-check up done to know the potential health risks being posed to your body. It will save you from further pain, tension and heavy medical expenses. And it will help you prevent the disease well in advance.
Book an appointment with us to achieve a better quality of life through curing the disease and modifying your lifestyle and habits.
We at Medfin , the Surgery expert team, offer you access to latest and advanced treatment for appendicitis at most affordable costs. Our Personal Medfin assistants answer all your concerns related to surgery and ensure that your needs are met in your entire medical journey.
To consult an expert Medfin surgeon near you, please call us on 7026200200. You can also WhatsApp us on 7406557599 (click here to initiate a whatsapp chat).